Those closer to me will say that I am a dire Oprah Winfrey fan – I call myself ‘her virtual daughter/mentee’ (judge me not); but one of my aspirations has always been to emulate and supersede what she has created.
Her model of business is unlike none other and so here are some of the quotes she has passed on over the years to uplift, motivate and push you to be the best you can be without fear…
One thing I admire about Oprah is her philosophy on life and making the best of what you have on earth.
Her philosophy is multifaceted. Three key elements are:
- Take control of your own life
- An individual’s choices and thoughts are central
- Live your dreams.
You can get a good flavor for Oprah’s philosophy by reading through a list of her quotes, which has been organized by topics:
On controlling your own life
- We are each responsible for our own life — no other person is or even can be.
- My philosophy is that not only are you responsible for your life but doing the best at this moment puts you in the best place for the next moment.
- Understand that the right to choose your own path is a sacred privilege. Use it. Dwell in possibility.
The importance of what we think and what we choose
- I know for sure that what we dwell on is who we become.
- Everything in your world is created by what you think.
- With every experience, you alone are painting your own canvas, thought by thought, choice by choice.
- I believe the choice to be excellent begins with aligning your thoughts and words with the intention to require more from yourself.
- Become the change you want to see — those are words I live by.
- Breathe. Let go. And remind yourself that this very moment is the only one you know you have for sure.
On living the life of your dreams
- The biggest adventure you can ever take is to live the life of your dreams.
- The key to realizing a dream is to focus not on success but significance — and then even the small steps and little victories along your path will take on greater meaning.
On the meaning of life
- The whole point of being alive is to evolve into the complete person you were intended to be.
- I define joy as a sustained sense of well-being and internal peace — a connection to what matters.
- Be more splendid, more extraordinary. Use every moment to fill yourself up.
- Every day brings a chance for you to draw in a breath, kick off your shoes, and dance.
- In every aspect of our lives, we are always asking ourselves, How am I of value? What is my worth? Yet I believe that worthiness is our birthright.
On failure & fear
- Do the one thing you think you cannot do. Fail at it. Try again. Do better the second time. The only people who never tumble are those who never mount the high wire. This is your moment. Own it.
- Failure is defined by our reaction to it.
- Think like a queen. A queen is not afraid to fail. Failure is another stepping-stone to greatness.
- You can take from every experience what it has to offer you. And you cannot be defeated if you just keep taking one breath followed by another.
- Whatever you fear most has no power — it is your fear that has the power.
On relationships — who do you want around you
- Lots of people want to ride with you in the limo, but what you want is someone who will take the bus with you when the limo breaks down.
- Every one of us gets through the tough times because somebody is there, standing in the gap to close it for us.
- Surround yourself with only people who are going to lift you higher.
Mind and body
- Getting my lifelong weight struggle under control has come from a process of treating myself as well as I treat others in every way.
- It is confidence in our bodies, minds and spirits that allows us to keep looking for new adventures, new directions to grow in, and new lessons to learn – which is what life is all about.
- I finally realized that being grateful to my body was key to giving more love to myself.
If you enjoyed these quotes, please feel free to share your comments and tell us what memories you have about Oprah below.
Yours in love – The Renaissance Lady ©